Integrating Finite Element Analysis into the Spacecraft Thermal Analysis Process
Young Graduate Trainee (YGT) Project: May 2004 – April 2005
James Etchells, ESTEC/ESA
Harrie Rooijackers, ATG Europe
Thermal Analysis, ESTEC/ESA
There are many steps in the spacecraft thermal analysis process such as conductor generation, pre/post-processing and mapping of temperatures to a structural model. This report seeks to identify some of the key steps in this process and to assess where the use of FEA may be beneficial. Furthermore, in order to aid the integration of FEA into the thermal analysis process, several tools have been developed and these will be presented within the report. The key objectives of the investigation are:
- To consider the different steps and processes involved in spacecraft thermal analysis
- To asses which steps in the process could benefit from the use of FEA
- To investigate where it is possible to use TLP and FEA methods together and how it is possible to map between the methods
- To elucidate these issues and provide quantitative data by running some test cases
- Focus on development of general methodologies rather than creating a single specific tool
- Development should be as tool independent as possible and use neutral formats if feasible
- Where possible, existing, trusted, software tools should be used
- Development should act as a first step towards integrating FEA, allowing users to experiment with minimum financial investment or time commitment
Material available for download
The following material is available for download on this website:
- YGT Final Report: “Integrating Finite Element Analysis into the Spacecraft Thermal Analysis Process” (PDF)
- YGT Final Presentation (PDF)
- NASTRAN BDF to STEP-TAS conversion tool (PC Windows)
- NASTRAN RADMTX writer tool (PC Windows)
- FE2TAN tool (PC Windows)
It is also hoped that some tutorial examples demonstrating the use of these tools will be made available. There is, however, no guarantee that these will be made available and no specific time frame. Readers are advised to check this page periodically in order to check for updates.
The downloads below require a valid username and password. To obtain a username and password, please register here using your name, occupation and organisation. You will receive your username and password within 1 to 7 days usually.
Feedback and Comments
Any feedback, comments or suggestions for future work relating to this project are much appreciated. Correspondence can be sent to the contact addresses at the top of this page and we will try to reply to you swiftly.
Copyright © 2003-2019 European Space Agency
Terms and Conditions
The subject material was produced under an internal project of the European Space Agency. Therefore it is freely available to organisations and individuals located in one of the Agency's member or cooperating states according to the criteria set out in Article II (3) of Annex V of the European Space Agency Convention [*]. The subject material shall not be redistributed or published in any form outside the recipient's organisation. By downloading the material from this website you consent to these Terms and Conditions. [*] Available from http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Law_at_ESA/ESA_Convention
Warranty and Disclaimer of Warranty. Although every attempt has been made to ensure the correctness of these tools, they are provided "AS IS" and WITHOUT WARRANTY, either express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY OF THIS SOFTWARE IS WITH THE USER. Limitation of Liability. Under no circumstances and under no legal theory, whether in tort (including negligence), contract, or otherwise, shall the provider be liable to any person for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages of any character arising as a result of the use of these tools including, without limitation, damages for loss of goodwill, work stoppage, computer failure or malfunction, or any and all other commercial damages or losses.